Sunday 9 April 2017

Rayon vert

What he was after was something smaller, a landscape, his own, from which he could view a mystical sunset, and where he might capture that fabled rayon vert, that brief streak of light before the darkness closed in.
Strangers, Ch. 7

The rayon vert, though never so named, and here given metaphorical force, will be familiar to Brooknerians. In A Family Romance Jane walks down a London street and the sky is of the palest green. Or else, from The Bay of Angels, Zoe and Adam wandering out into a 'beautiful greenish dusk'.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes Brookner strikes me as quite Rohmerian. Much bleaker, of course, and perhaps even truer to life, even though I find Rohmer one of the 'truest-to-life' filmmakers there are. But Hotel du Lac could have been an exquisite Rohmer film, for example. (Le rayon vert, of course is one of Rohmer's films.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good to hear from you. Thank you for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. I am simultaneously discovering Brookner and the contents of your blog and I was not sure if it's the done thing to comment on posts as old as this one, but there it is. I've just started on The Next Big Thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what the done thing is in this arena?! Comments are always welcome. They reassure me I am not merely talking to myself. The Next Big Thing is probably my favourite. When I read it in 2001 when it was published I thought it was merely a late novel 'for the fans'. Now I see its true daring and verve. The depths of the suffering, the voluptuousness of the writing.

      Delete

Questions and comments are always welcome. (Please note: there will be a short delay before publication, as comments are moderated.)